Decreasing clutter in your life

3/23/2016



It's the end of another week and I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed and un-zen...yes, I made up that word. I thought I'd write a post on it so that I could brainstorm ideas on how to declutter my life. Hope it can help or inspire you to find some zen in your life!





DIGITAL CLUTTER


Sometimes I want to go back to the days when you only had one email account and ten emails a day was annoying. Although I diligently try to unsubscribe myself from emails and make subscriptions with my reluctantly created 'junk' account, I woke up today feeling attacked by app updates, likes, tweets, junk email--you name it. All I wanted to do was check if I got any important emails from my one account before going about my day.


These days, it's hard to not be the recipient of a million different email subscriptions from all the companies out there trying to grab your paycheck. Companies have also creative ways to get you to subscribe with discounts given only to subscribers and contests that make participants subscribe to ten other companies all at once. Needless to say, my previous method of unsubscribing from one subscription every other day has become a total failure.


Suggestions:


Change settings for push notifications. Not sure why I didn't do this earlier but as of today, I shouldn't be getting a notification for every like or tweet.


Do a Maria Kondo clean up of email subscriptions and restrict subscriptions using my main email to only my favorite companies.


Check your phone less often. No one will be mad that you didn't respond to their text right away. If it's an emergency, they'll call.






PHYSICAL CLUTTER





Suggestion:


Marie Kondo your way to less clutter.














Honestly, I'm far from mastering this myself but I'm determined to give this a shot. In fact, in between writing up sections of this post, I've gotten rid of two items of clothing and a bag of fabric scraps. Consignment stores and Goodwill, here I come! Excuse me while I pat myself on the shoulder.


If you're interested in trying out the Kondo method, take a look at this gal's experience. It's so much harder than it sounds but I'm keeping my eye on the prize: a pretty closet that looks something like this:





I think if we all spray painted our clothing rack gold, we would do the Kondo method much quicker. DIY project anyone?






MIND CLUTTER


Probably a product of the other types of clutter but when you have loads of information, images, video, and life is flashing through your mind and all you want to do is go for a beach vacation, here are more ways to calm your mind:
Go for a walk or run
Do some yoga
Exercise
Meditate
All of the above





You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *